I was raised Catholic. As such, I’ve never celebrated Hanukkah, but because Catholicism and Judaism share a lot of text, I learned about it during my 12 years of Catholic school (…that’s a story for another post. Or maybe a novel.) For those unfamiliar with it, Hanukkah is the Festival of Lights, an eight-day Jewish […]
During the winter, I sometimes miss my favorite summer flavors. Here’s a baked version (You know, to take the chill off for those cold winter evenings) of one of my favorite summer tomato salads. You can also use Roma tomatoes in this recipe, if that’s what floats your boat. This recipe qualifies as comfort food […]
Happy Thanksgiving! Here’s a quick, simple recipe that will add a pop of color to your Thanksgiving table. I like to leave the peels on the carrots and parsnips, but go ahead and peel them if you want. Roasted Rainbow Carrots and Parsnips with Shallots 1½ lbs rainbow carrots 1 ½ lbs parsnips 8 shallots, […]
Have I mentioned that I love roasted squash? Oh my gosh, do I ever. I also recently discovered pumpkin curry at a restaurant near my office in San Francisco, and now Kabocha pumpkins are probably one of my favorite things to eat. This recipe is great with a single type of squash, or a couple […]
Thanksgiving can be a little stressful, especially when you have a large crowd, and you’re cooking a lot of food. This recipe will make your life easier. It takes very little effort, and it only requires 5 ingredients–but those 5 ingredients are a powerhouse! The garlic gets nice and toasty, and it melts together with […]
Here’s another super quick and easy broccoli recipe. Om nom nom! Zippy Broccoli 2 tbsp EVOO 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped 1/4 c low sodium chicken broth (optional) 2 lbs broccoli pinch of sea salt 1. Cut broccoli into florets. 2. Heat 3/4 cup of water and broccoli in […]
When I was a kid, we ate steamed broccoli. We didn’t like it, but we had to eat it before we could leave the table. Those were the rules. The classic solution to the problem didn’t work–the dog wouldn’t eat it either. Many meals in the Murphy household ended with slow, resentful chewing. Then one […]
- Poppin’ Cranberry Sauce November 16, 2011
- Apples to Apples November 3, 2011
- Roasted Broccoli November 7, 2011
- Omega Fatty Acids January 23, 2014
- How to Build a Green Smoothie July 29, 2014
- Five Foods to Beat Stress July 22, 2014
- Five Popular “Health” Foods That Aren’t Really Healthy July 11, 2014
- Drinking Alcohol in a Healthy Diet July 1, 2014
- Lindsey Swanson: Finally a source that tries to remain objective an...
- Sia: You forgot "big stack of bacon"!...
- Brad: Great list! And thanks so much for including our c...
- Sia: I hear good things about the nutribullet. It is a ...