We’re back in the R months and the weather is getting colder. To me, this means one thing: Shellfish is in season again! I know, I know, you’re thinking, shellfish? But shellfish are high in cholesterol! That’s sort of true. But according to the statement on what seafood you should eat released by the FDA […]
Here’s another reason to eat locally-grown, seasonal produce. NPR reports on Barry Estabrook, author of Tomatoland:How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit, talks about why today’s fruit has less nutritional value and less flavor than the same fruit did 50 years ago. “As one large Florida farmer said, ‘I don’t get paid a […]
The Deadliest Food Illness Outbreak in 25 Years The CDC posted on their website that as of 9am on Tuesday morning, 116 persons have been infected and 25 people have died in the recent outbreak of listeria bacteria related to cantaloupe.The number of infected persons identified in each state is as follows: Alabama (1), Arkansas […]
I just got this in the mail, and I’m pretty excited about it. Originally published in 1833, The American Frugal Housewife is “dedicated to those who are not ashamed of economy,” and was written by a woman calling herself Mrs. Child. She turns out to be Lydia Maria Child, who was a novelist, journalist, American […]
This is kind of a dark parody, but it’s good information on the way meat is conventionally raised and slaughtered. The Meatrix:
The Huffington Post has a really neat series called Food Informants, a week-in-the-life series that profiles people in the food world. This week features Terry and Jane Levan, who own and operate a 20 acre pastured poultry farm outside Lexington, Texas. This warmed my heart: 6:30am: The post office calls to let me know that […]
- Poppin’ Cranberry Sauce 12:35 AM
- Roasted Broccoli 9:51 PM
- Apples to Apples 8:18 PM
- Our Soy Milk Picks 7:22 PM
- Wiser Wednesdays #7: Gobble Like a Turkey 1:25 PM
- 20 Healthy Breakfast Ideas 2:47 PM
- How to Choose Better Bread 6:46 PM
- Wiser Wednesdays #6: Hummus It Up! 4:39 PM
- Brad: Great list! And thanks so much for including our c...
- Sia: I hear good things about the nutribullet. It is a ...
- Chris MacGregor: What about Costco's Kirkland Signature brand soy m...
- Lisa, MS, RD: Very well said, and my feelings exactly! Thank you...