We’re back in the R months and the weather is getting colder. To me, this means one thing: Shellfish is in season again! I know, I know, you’re thinking, shellfish? But shellfish are high in cholesterol! That’s sort of true. But according to the statement on what seafood you should eat released by the FDA […]
Here’s another reason to eat locally-grown, seasonal produce. NPR reports on Barry Estabrook, author of Tomatoland:How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit, talks about why today’s fruit has less nutritional value and less flavor than the same fruit did 50 years ago. “As one large Florida farmer said, ‘I don’t get paid a […]
I just got this in the mail, and I’m pretty excited about it. Originally published in 1833, The American Frugal Housewife is “dedicated to those who are not ashamed of economy,” and was written by a woman calling herself Mrs. Child. She turns out to be Lydia Maria Child, who was a novelist, journalist, American […]
This is kind of a dark parody, but it’s good information on the way meat is conventionally raised and slaughtered. The Meatrix:
The Huffington Post has a really neat series called Food Informants, a week-in-the-life series that profiles people in the food world. This week features Terry and Jane Levan, who own and operate a 20 acre pastured poultry farm outside Lexington, Texas. This warmed my heart: 6:30am: The post office calls to let me know that […]
- Poppin’ Cranberry Sauce November 16, 2011
- Apples to Apples November 3, 2011
- Our Soy Milk Picks September 30, 2013
- Roasted Broccoli November 7, 2011
- What Oils Should You Cook With? August 14, 2014
- Five Hidden Sources of Sugar August 12, 2014
- Three Healthy Snack Ideas August 5, 2014
- How to Build a Green Smoothie July 29, 2014
- Bobby Maknoon: Hi Liliana, The ...
- liliana: Thanks for the helpful post. Obviously we should...
- Lauren: Excellent list. Always looking for a lower calorie...
- jayashree: nice article...