3 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt ½ tbsp fresh dill or basil, chopped 1 tsp lemon juice 1 tsp dijon mustard a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 2 slices whole-grain bread 1 hard-boiled egg, thinly sliced 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced In a small bowl, combine first four ingredients. Season […]
To make this recipe vegan, discard the ham hock, and add 1 tbsp smoked paprika with the thyme leaves. Hoppin’ John, for Luck! 2 tbsp EVOO 1 ham hock ½ cup celery, chopped 1 medium onion, diced 1 small green bell pepper, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained 2 […]
I was raised Catholic. As such, I’ve never celebrated Hanukkah, but because Catholicism and Judaism share a lot of text, I learned about it during my 12 years of Catholic school (…that’s a story for another post. Or maybe a novel.) For those unfamiliar with it, Hanukkah is the Festival of Lights, an eight-day Jewish […]
8 oz soba noodles ¼ tsp sea salt a generous splash of EVOO 1 bunch green onions, sliced 4 cloves garlic 4 big handfuls of kale, destemmed and cut into bite-sized pieces A sprinkle of Parmesan, freshly grated (optional) freshly ground black pepper, or red pepper flakes to taste 1. Cook soba noodles according to […]
It’s always interesting to me to learn about other cultures’ food traditions, especially around relatively universal holidays like New Years. For many Japanese, soba noodles have become a New Years Eve tradition, because they’re symbolic of longevity. And they’re not just a symbol for longevity—they’re rich in protein and fiber, they’re one of the few […]
Martha Rose Schulman came up with this Bulgur and Kale Casserole with Yogurt Topping for the New York Times’ Recipes for Health. I would say be careful with the salt (especially if using canned tomatoes) and use nonfat plain yogurt. Sounds amazing! And bulgur, according to Martha, takes only about 20 minutes to reconstitute by […]
July 24th Healthy Deal: Annie Chun’s Seaweed Snacks Breakfast Healthy Cereal and Scrambled Egg Whites – 480 calories, 13g fiber, 32g protein, 65% Calcium Healthy Cereal w/ Banana – 415 calories, 19g of protein, 13g of Fiber, rich in Magnesium and Phosphorus and Calcium – ¾ cup of Uncle Sam Original Cereal – 140 calories […]
- Poppin’ Cranberry Sauce November 16, 2011
- Apples to Apples November 3, 2011
- Roasted Broccoli November 7, 2011
- Omega Fatty Acids January 23, 2014
- How To Build a Green Smoothie July 29, 2014
- Five Foods to Beat Stress July 22, 2014
- Five Popular “Health” Foods That Aren’t Really Healthy July 11, 2014
- Drinking Alcohol in a Healthy Diet July 1, 2014
- Lindsey Swanson: Finally a source that tries to remain objective an...
- Sia: You forgot "big stack of bacon"!...
- Brad: Great list! And thanks so much for including our c...
- Sia: I hear good things about the nutribullet. It is a ...