To make this recipe vegan, discard the ham hock, and add 1 tbsp smoked paprika with the thyme leaves. Hoppin’ John, for Luck! 2 tbsp EVOO 1 ham hock ½ cup celery, chopped 1 medium onion, diced 1 small green bell pepper, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained 2 […]
I was raised Catholic. As such, I’ve never celebrated Hanukkah, but because Catholicism and Judaism share a lot of text, I learned about it during my 12 years of Catholic school (…that’s a story for another post. Or maybe a novel.) For those unfamiliar with it, Hanukkah is the Festival of Lights, an eight-day Jewish […]
One of my favorite holiday traditions is Wassail. Most people I talk to haven’t heard of it, except for in relationship to that obscure Christmas carol. Wassail is a hot spiced cider you can make in a pot on the stove or in a large crockpot. Sometimes we spike it with some spiced rum or […]
- Poppin’ Cranberry Sauce 12:35 AM
- Roasted Broccoli 9:51 PM
- Our Soy Milk Picks 7:22 PM
- Wiser Wednesdays #2: Battle of the Snack Bars 12:36 PM
- Update: The Heartbleed Bug 5:08 PM
- What is Inflammation? 3:39 PM
- The Skinny on Fried Foods 9:59 AM
- Artificial Sweeteners: Pros, Cons, and Alternatives 3:15 PM
- Lindsey Swanson: Finally a source that tries to remain objective an...
- Sia: You forgot "big stack of bacon"!...
- Brad: Great list! And thanks so much for including our c...
- Sia: I hear good things about the nutribullet. It is a ...